Commissioned in 2002, the Tasmanian Gas Pipeline (TGP) is the only pipeline supplying natural gas to Tasmania. It transports natural gas from Longford in Victoria, under Bass Strait, to Bell Bay in Tasmania supplying gas to both industry and townships in the state.
The Tasmanian Gas Pipeline (TGP) is a part of a network of underground high-pressure gas pipes, which stretches over 20,000km and serves all of Australia’s states and territories. The network brings jobs and economic growth to the communities it passes through.
The pipeline and associated assets are managed and operated by Palisade Asset Management on behalf of the asset owner Tasmanian Gas Pipeline Pty. Ltd.
The offshore section of the Tasmanian Gas Pipeline commences at Seaspray on the Victorian coastline and crosses Bass Strait. The pipeline comes ashore in Tasmania at Five Mile Bluff, north of Bell Bay. The route was chosen to avoid adverse seafloor conditions and on bottom obstructions that were observed during the pre-construction survey.
The offshore section is approximately 301 km in length with a maximum water depth of approximately 77 metres. This section does not have any permanent offshore facilities and as such is unmanned.
- The pipeline is approximately 740km long.
- The pipeline transports gas predominately from the Gippsland Basin.
- Current capacity of 47 PJ/annum. (47 peta joules per annum – peta is a 1 with 15 zeros after it.)
- The pipeline transports high pressure natural gas, up to 15,000kPa. (Approximately 148 times normal atmospheric pressure.)
- Temperatures of the gas for operation typically range between 0°C and 50°C. Design temperature limits range between -30°C and 200°C.
The pipeline supplies:
- Tamar Valley Power Stations,
- Grange Resources' iron ore processing facility,
- Bell Bay Aluminium's aluminium smelter,
- BOC's LNG processing facility,
- Simplot's food processing plants,
- Cadbury's chocolate factories,
- Boags and Cascade breweries,
- Nyrstar's zinc smelter,
- Ecka Granules' aluminium powder production plant,
- BHP Temco's manganese alloy production plant,
- Launceston General and North West Regional hospitals,
- Tas Alkaloids' opium poppy processing plant,
- Fonterra's milk powder, cheese and butter manufacturing plants, and
- Tas Gas Networks facilities in:
- Bell Bay & George Town,
- Longford (Tas),
- Wynyard and